Saturday, April 11, 2009

TNT workout - last spring team workout!

It was threatening to rain this morning. But it didn't! It was, however, very windy. It was pretty warm at 45-50 degrees, but the wind was something else. It almost blew my hat off of my head at one point. I stayed reasonably warm in tights, long sleeve shirt, and my windbreaker, gloves, and baseball hat. I did take off the windbreaker because I got too hot, but toyed with putting it back on when the wind gusted hard.

The spring team had their last workout today before their race: 8 miles for full marathoners and 6 for half marathoners. They looked great, but they are nervous about the race. I totally understand that! They are not sure if they can do it, but I know they are going to do really well :). I am very excited for them!!! It's so fun to see them finishing what they started.

The summer team was doing 14 miles today. Only one person ended up doing the whole 14 (long story!) but I was with her after the first 5.5 miles or so. She did GREAT and finished fine, though a little sore. Heck, I was sore too. I actually only did 13.46 miles (I skipped going up City Creek Canyon with the full marathoners, and opted to walk slowly with the half marathon walkers to conserve my strength, figuring I'd see them all later anyway, which I did). Still, my right hip is really stiff and sore, despite stretching, tennis ball, foam roller, you name it. I think that a phone call to the PT next week is in order. Probably should go in and see what they can do for me. I have been logging a lot of miles on the weekends and it's taking its toll.

The Salt Lake Marathon is on April 18th, next Saturday. I will probably end up doing 20-25 miles total as a coach. I hope my hip is up to it. I think I need to rest it this week, stretch, and try some cross-training instead of racewalking whenever possible. Maybe some biking or swimming. We'll see. I love walking so much... it's hard to take a break, even when things hurt. But I know I need to follow my own advice to team members and rest it.

***

Yesterday - almost forgot this - did 4.12 miles at 13:00/mile pace with my racewalking buddies. I was pushing the stroller so though it was still an easy workout, it was not a walk in the park ;). We were at the Jordan River Parkway, which is such a marvelous spot to walk. The kids were pretty awful the whole time (screaming, fighting, whining) but it was still great to see my friends.

No comments: