Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A few workouts, and some rest too

Sunday - I know, I was going to rest. But it was AMAZING outside - low 60s, sunny, with those puffy white cotton ball clouds. I walked about 6.6 miles all around, taking in Liberty Park (down the center, and around the outside) as well as many neighborhoods. Lots of people outside enjoying the weather, and so I got to people watch while I walked. It was crowded in the park, and I had both dogs, so it was a bit of an obstacle course but lots of fun. I think it took me about 1:12 or so to do the 6.6; nice and easy, and a flat route to go easy on my right hip (piriformis) which seems to do better when I'm not going uphill. After my workout we enjoyed having some friends over for ham, scalloped potatoes, asparagus, salad, and chocolate-dipped strawberries. Yum! We also played Wii Sports, Mario Kart, and more, and had some good conversation too.

Monday - REST day. I was going to go to weight training, but forgot to set my alarm, and it's just as well. I needed to rest.

Tuesday - I needed a little speed workout. It was raining lightly but warm at 53 degrees, so outside was in order. I walked to Liberty Park, and then went around the park once fast (HR about 85% max @ 160-165) and then walked home easy for a cool-down. I wasn't very fast, though, despite the high heart rate. It took me 14:01 to get around the park, which is only a 10 min mile. Pretty high HR for only doing ONE 10-min mile.

I guess 3 weeks off of speed work is taking its toll. That's OK; I have plenty of time before my next race. I'll probably do the Deseret News 10K on July 24th as MY next race. Of course I'm coaching SLC Marathon this weekend, and then the Seattle RNR Marathon on June 27th, but that is not at all the same as racing them myself. Fun, but different.

My right hip is still bugging me; tennis ball against the wall is the BEST massage, though the foam roller is pretty good too. I am trying to stretch a lot, avoid hills whenever possible, and take it easy. It does seem to be doing a little better though, so I'm hopeful that if I rest it well after Saturday's race I will be OK. I am going to have the summer team only do 10 miles on 4/25, and hopefully that will help.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Richardson said...

Tammy, you're going to Seattle? Did we already discuss this? OK, I'll miss you in Nashville, 'cause neither of us will be there. But Seattle? I'm there!