Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Back in the saddle

I took Sunday off, even though I really felt OK. Still, better to get some rest in.

Monday morning I decided I was up to racewalking 1.5 miles before my weight training workout. It felt fine, and my weight training (good and hard) was great. I was slightly sore this morning from that, but just the perfect amount.

This morning I did a moderate racewalk around Sugar House Park. I took the dogs, and boy was I sorry. Sahara had some serious GI issues and by the time we got home she smelled awful and her legs were covered in dog doo. Yeah, it was ugly. When I got home, after a brief shower myself, I gave both dogs a bath; no easy feat because by then I had my friend Sarah's kids over too. I just had the kids stand by the side door and watch as I hosed the dogs off. Fortunately it was nice & warm this morning (just under 50) and they're labrador retrievers so it's not like they were suffering too much. They're bred to swim in cold water (in fact, they have webbed feet, believe it or not!).

Oh yeah, my walk - it was definitely moderate to moderately hard (hmmm, maybe too fast for Sahara and hence the GI issues? She is kinda wimpy and I don't usually take her on speedy walks). My ave HR was 146, and I was FAST :). 1st mile (hard uphill) in 10:39, 2nd mile in 10:09, 3rd in 10:13, and last 0.75 in 6:53 (downhill). Awesome. I love days when I feel fast. I am still going to take it a bit easy for the next week or 2 to be sure I'm recovered from the marathon before I do hard training again. But I have two important races this fall, on Aug 28 and Oct 4, and I want to be ready!

No comments: