Thursday, April 16, 2009

SLC marathon race expo

 
I took the kids to the expo with me to get my bib. They got some souvenirs - sort of! They're actually wearing MY expo purchases :). Calvin is still wearing it and doesn't want to part w/it. He even knows what it says.

These headbands are Bondi Bands, and they're awesome for holding short hair out of your eyes. Yeah, I can't wear a ponytail any more, and if it's windy I have to wear something on my head to keep the hair from bugging me. A baseball cap works fine, but these are stylish and fun :). I probably need to edit the one so that it says "Will racewalk for chocolate".

I did a pretty easy treadmill workout this morning because the kids woke a little early; the promised snow didn't materialize at our house (yay!) so I could have gone outside, but it was easier on Loren for me to do the treadmill, and he was feeling a bit ill (intestinal issues, poor guy). I did 10 min to warm up, stretched my R piriformis on the foam roller, and then did 4x0.25 mile (400m) intervals at 6.5 mph; about 2:14-2:15 each (5k pace), with recovery to HR of 130. Then I recovered for a few minutes and then did a 4% incline at 5 mph for 5 min. Finally, a 10-min cool down for about 40 min total.

I'm all ready for Saturday now. Just a short 20-min walk tomorrow to loosen things up. I have to be really careful what I eat today & tomorrow - NO ice cream or dairy unless I want to hang out by the porta potties instead of coaching! Tonight I'm making pasta with leftover ham from Easter. Tomorrow night is the pasta party, so guess I will be heavy on the pasta; good carb-loading. It's kind of weird to prepare this way for a race that is not my own - it's cool, though. It's neat to be supporting those who are giving themselves for a great cause.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Harriet said...

So, you'll be doing the race but more or less as someone who will be encouraging others in your group?

Harriet said...

PS: "harriet" is me, Ollie. don't ask. :-)

Tammy said...

Yeah, Ollie, I figured out that Harriet was you from the Froggy picture :).

Yes, I am doing the race simply as a coach, to encourage the Team in Training people to get through it to the finish line. I am planning on doing the 1/2 marathon course and getting them all to the finish, and then going out to bring the full marathoners in. There is another coach, and he is going to be on the full marathon course the whole time. We have 18 (or maybe 19) participants doing the race.

malvs2walk said...

I hope your team members all have great races! Are some of them first timers? They are lucky to have such a dedicated coach!