Sunday, April 05, 2009

17 snowy miles

Saturday was our TNT workout (photo is of a few team members at the 1st water stop). Most of the team was doing 12 or 10 miles, but one of our Nashville Country Music Marathon people needed to do 20. It was snowing when we got to the park to start out; it wasn't sticking (well, mostly not - some slushy sidewalks) but it was definitely snowing pretty good and wasn't terribly pleasant out. It was about 30 degrees and, OK, I admit it, I AM SICK OF WINTER ALREADY. Spring in SLC is pretty random - we get snowstorms and then warm weather in alternating bursts. The warm weather part is nice - it was 58 today and supposed to be even nicer tomorrow.

Anyway, I did the 12 with the team (which ended up being about 13 for me, with the back and forth between groups), and then went out for the last 8 with our team captain who is going to Nashville. She was hurting, though (calf muscle issues), and could only do 4 more, which made about 17 for me. I was sorry she had to quit but I was cold, so it wasn't too terrible ;).

I did the 17 at about a 12 minute pace, on average, including the miles w/the runners and the walkers. My right hip was still bugging me quite a lot, and the muscle (piriformis, most likely) was very cranky when we finished. I stretched a lot and downed some very wonderful hot chocolate, and went home. Later, my hip felt fine.

***

In fact, later that night, Loren and I went on a date :) and enjoyed a meal at the Dodo (great desserts!!!), a walk around Sugar House Park (very leisurely - my hip was totally OK w/it), some bookstore browsing, and a trip to Blockbuster to rent a Wii game w/a gift card Loren had. It was a wonderful 5 hours w/o the kids :)!

***

Today I enjoyed a 3.75 mile jaunt around Sugar House park in 38 and change (pretty speedy, actually). I felt fast, and my hip was fine - maybe just a twinge here and there. Go figure!?! 21.5 miles last weekend, 17 yesterday, and I felt fine. Hmmm - I must be getting used to this. Good thing, since I'll most likely do a lot of miles while coaching the marathon in just 2 weeks.

I haven't been getting enough sleep - so I think I'm off to bed now. Have my weight training class in the morning, and I want to be able to get up for it!!!

1 comment:

Hunca Munca said...

You go girl! Brrr. I'm glad you had fun w/Loren and had nice night out. I love the Dodo too. :-)