Wednesday, April 29, 2015

tired 10K

I was supposed to do 12K today. I cut the workout short, because I was a lot more slow and tired than I thought I should be, and I have a few aches and pains that I think need to be babied a little. When I got to 7k and my left piriformis and right shin were bothering me, and my watch said I was already only 6:35/km, I decided that 10K was enough. Interestingly, my legs didn't feel as tired as on last week's 12K, but I was slower and a bit more sore.

I worked very hard to maintain good technique, especially posture, because I didn't want to aggravate anything. I'm sure it helped keep things from getting worse. Actually, as I went, my left piriformis felt a bit better. The right shin, not so much, but a day off ought to bring it around I think.

So...sorry coach, but it seemed wise to cut it short. Too bad; the weather was gorgeous at 10C (50F) and calm and clear. It's supposed to get up to 80 here today :). YES! Also, I was excited to wear some new shorts I bought myself for the race in Riverside. The test drive went well, and they are very comfortable in addition to looking good.

I probably need some technique tweaks of the kind that one can only get from in-person attention. Sigh...I could go back to the running clinic and get their PT people to help, as they are really good, but it's expensive. I have good insurance but feel guilty for using it for something so recreational. I mean, I don't *need* this. Or I could pay a few thousand to fly Jim over here for a week ;). Or...well...I can just muddle through and try to figure it out.

I really DO need to ask Jim about strength training - I want him to give me a specific regimen tailored to my current situation. I am afraid to add in too much all at once given that a 35-min bike ride a couple weeks ago killed my training for a few days. The wrong strength training right now will kill my training at a crucial time before the race, so I had better get my coach's advice.

Total time: 1:06:13 for 6:37/km with ave HR 144.

No comments: