Saturday, April 25, 2015

15K

I wasn't looking forward to 15K today, as my legs have been pretty tired all week as I adjust to "real" training. I say "real" because it's still a very low volume, but at least it's 5 days per week with 2 speed days and one long day.

I was indeed pretty tired but the first 12km weren't so bad. The last 3 were definitely on quite tired legs, but interestingly they weren't horribly slow or a death march. A bit slow, yes, but could have been much worse. Actually, my last 5K, which contains a gentle uphill, was not as slow as the middle 5K. Splits: 31:43, 32:40, 32:37.

My left foot (peroneus longus tendinitis where the tendon attaches at the 1st metatarsal - injury from a few years ago) was bothering me a little, interestingly. Haven't felt this one in a while. I focused on keeping good posture and that helped a lot, when I was not too tired to remember. Arrgh! It's hard to get everything right, but that's actually what I love about this sport is the mental AND physical challenge. You have to stay engaged mentally or it all goes to hell in a hand basket.

The weather was great - good thing since it rained really hard last night and is raining again now but I got a break this morning in the weather - it was sunny (!) and in the 40s F (about 6C I think) and warming up to about 50F (10C). I got hot in my tights because I wore my thick pair, and I also had a long-sleeved shirt which I pushed the sleeves up on so I'd stay cooler.

Total time: 1:37:01 for 6:28/km with ave HR 149.

I'm glad for a day off to rest tomorrow.

No comments: