Monday, April 20, 2015

recovery; 6K

I'm recovering well from the half marathon on Saturday. No weird soreness at all - that's the good news. The (very minor) bad news is that I have a lot of delayed onset muscle soreness, especially in my trapezoids and deltoids (feels like I did too many weights) and also some in abs, glutes, shins, etc.  So I took a rest day yesterday :).

Today: coach gave me the choice of an 8K fartlek or 6K with 5x200s. I was too sore for speed work, so opted for 6K, no 200s :). The 6K was unremarkable, other than that I'm definitely sore and not feeling speedy at all. It was a gorgeous morning and nice to be out walking.

Total: 38:55 for 6:29/km with ave HR 143. HR nice and low; legs tired.

Garmin data here. 

***

I was feeling a bit sorry for myself reading Facebook and seeing that a FB friend who is quite a good runner, and also 43yo, did 1:36:40 with minimal training 12 weeks after knee surgery. Of course, that's about how much training I've had: minimal for a half marathon, and really only a couple months walking since breaking my toe. So I ran the numbers through an age-grade calculator, and her age grade was 72.93% and mine was 71.19%. Pretty close! That made me feel better. Nice to do >70% age grade with minimal training. I suppose I'll take it.

And in other good news, my coach actually wrote a 4-week long program for me leading up to the 15K next month :). First time in a year he's written me more than a week or two at a time. I'm optimistic!

No comments: