Saturday, February 01, 2014


Yesterday: elliptical, then core with my friend Lisa at the gym. Haven't done core work in a while due to my illness…so I'm a bit sore today, in a good way :).


Today: 12K. There was a very light dusting of snow this morning and it was 28F (-2C) and cloudy. 95% of the pathway was clear, but the other 5% was scarily slippery. I fell on my rear end once, and slipped enough to scare myself on two other occasions. We (Stevie and I) had to go slower in quite a few spots - probably cost us 1-2 min? Dunno. Hard to say.

The walk today went OK. The good part? I worked hard on technique and I feel like it's coming together quite well. The bad part? I got tired very quickly, probably because I'm still sick. I still have a sore throat (pretty severe) and some serious fatigue.

1.5K before the end, I was SO frustrated with my slow 500m splits that I was getting upset. I decided I had 2 choices: give up, or try harder. So I did the latter, pushing much harder and pulling off a 3:07 (normal speed…but it felt like 2:45 because I was working hard) and a 3:14 and 3:13.

I was glad Stevie was there - beat doing that alone when I felt so lousy.

Total time: 1:20:10 for 6:41/km with ave HR 149.

Garmin data here. 


Didn't get to go to my Weight Watchers meeting because I 1) had breakfast with Kelly, and 2) went to the memorial service for my friend Dorothy. It was an amazing service - packed full of people and not a dry eye in the house. She was an incredible person and loved by so many. She planned many of the details herself, and it showed. String quintet of her friends for prelude & postlude (she was a violinist), both classical music and hymns that she loved. Another friend sang "I Know That My Redeemer Liveth" from Handel's Messiah - wonderful and moving and hopeful. Congregational hymn and praise song (My Jesus, I Love Thee, and 10000 reasons) rounded out the list of great music for a great lady. I basically cried the whole service, and spent an hour there afterward talking with old friends and crying some more. Weird being happy and crying at the same time - we all agreed that we'd miss her deeply (hence all the crying) but glad for her suffering to be over and for her to be making music in a much better place.

Now I'm completely wiped. Thankfully, Loren is helping with the kids and I can get a nap.

No comments: