Saturday, February 22, 2014

YES! 15K!

Yesterday: elliptical 45 min

***

Today: I made it to 15K for the first time since the national 15K last May in Riverside. Wow. It's been a long time, and 15K is not even that far. I felt good today, which is way more than I could say after the 15K in Riverside, or any 15K I did last spring, for that matter.

Today I had lots of good company. Stevie joined me as usual, and my friend Erica came along as well. Erica is training for the Salt Lake City Marathon on April 19 (I am registered for the half that day), and she was doing 18 miles today and wanted some company. We gave her company for half of her 18! I hope the rest went well for her too.

The time seemed to fly by, as I felt pretty good, and the company was enjoyable. The weather was lovely - it was 35F (2C) and partly sunny at the start, turning to overcast with a slight breeze. I didn't need my hat or jacket - just wore 2 long-sleeved shirts and tights, and no fleece pants. It was great not to feel cold. For February, this is pretty mild, so I'm soaking it in while it lasts.

I started off fast, but my form felt a bit iffy as it often does to start. I reeled that in and by 1.5km or so I was feeling solid and good. I had to watch my posture a lot today - distracted by chatting, I kept noticing that it wasn't good. That's a first step anyway! As for the rest of me, it felt great. No piriformis trouble, and my anterior tibialis felt OK as did my foot. My foot felt pretty good until 14K, when it felt warmish, but I only had 1K to go, and knew it would be fine. It seems to be doing much better back in the old shoes. I don't have any more of those, but I do have some New Balance 1400s which I know are safe for my feet, so I will probably start using those soon.

I am just SO pleased to be feeling better. This morning I woke up and nothing hurt. My legs just felt GOOD. I didn't realize how bad things were before until I started to feel good! When I walked today I felt strong and like I could walk forever - I got a bit tired around 7K but then revived at our water stop at 7.5K and felt strong to the finish. I could have walked farther, but 15K was a good amount for today to get my confidence back. I'm so glad to be on the mend!!!!!

5K splits: 31:55, 32:30, 32:25.

Totals: 1:36:49 for 6:27/km with ave HR 148.

Garmin data here.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I admire racewalkers and may try it out one day when I walk some events with my friend. Great job on hitting that 15k again.