Wednesday, February 12, 2014

elliptical; 5K fartlek

Yesterday: 35 min elliptical. Up too late watching the Olympics so was short on time to get in as much time as I'd have liked. Legs were definitely a bit sore from the 10K w/bursts but not awful. Just noticeable in the morning when I sat a lot at the confocal microscope.

***

Today: OUTDOOR TRACK! :)!!! Thawed out enough that it is clear of snow for the first time since early December! It was 40F (4C) with a slight breeze and it felt good this morning. Seriously, it was beautiful out. I was quite nervous about the 5K fartlek as I've not done speed work that long since being ill, but the chance to do it on the track outside was awesome. Besides, I figured the worst that could happen would be that I'd crap out in the last km.

I warmed up for 1600m with strides on the last lap, in 10:17. I felt decent. My first lap was awkward but then the technique settled in and I felt my posture was really good and that my hips had extra ability to move because of my straight spine. Can't explain but it kind of clicks in. Anyway, then I did dynamic stretching and started in on the fartlek. I purposefully went out conservatively because I wanted even splits to the end, and I almost got them, so I'm pleased that I went out the way I did. My fast intervals were 2:53, 2:57, 2:56, 2:56, 2:55, 2:53. Pretty good! My recoveries show my lack of fitness: 3:08, 3:11, 3:11, 3:15. That's OK - it'll come. I felt my technique was rock solid and good posture the whole time. I really focused on that; I know it probably slowed me a bit - my total time was a pedestrian 30:14 - as my ave HR was 156 (though I did max out at 168 on the last interval), but I don't care. That will come too. This morning I just felt VERY grateful to have the legs to make it 5K without dying on the last interval, even if I was slow. I also felt grateful to be uninjured; my piriformis and right anterior tibialis seemed content this morning, probably because my technique was good.

Very solid and I'm happy with it even though it was slow. I think it shows progress, especially because my legs feel decent now - not too sore. It will be interesting to see how I fare for 10K tomorrow - again, might be slow, but doing it is what counts. I told myself this whole workout that it didn't matter how fast I went - it would be a season's best. That's how I'm going to think about every workout. Can't compare myself to the past until I'm really fit and lose 15 pounds, and I'm not fit and haven't lost the weight, so I'm not going to go there.

Garmin data here. 

No comments: