Tuesday, April 20, 2010

under the weather, but still getting faster :)




I didn't feel very good last night or this morning. Really tired, congested (runny nose), and lymph nodes the size of eggs (not really, but feels that way) under my chin. I really debated whether I should train hard. But generally I follow the rule that if it's not in your chest, then go for it, so I decide to go anyway.

Surprisingly, I had a good workout. I warmed up for 1600m in 10:10 (pretty fast! and I wasn't pushing too hard!) and then did some dynamic flexibility drills. My left groin was a bit sore yesterday, so I stretched it pretty well, and it was feeling OK today. Then I got started on the 3x2k I was supposed to do.

The first 2k felt great. I was pretty fast, and it wasn't too taxing (I did keep to the 85% effort that my coach wanted). I pushed a little at the end and finished in 11:43 (HR ave 151, max 168). After my 3' recovery, I tacked the second one. It wasn't quite so pretty. By the last lap (5 laps = 2000m), my legs were quite tired and I wondered if there was much left for the third one. I did finish in 11:55, so that was decent (HR ave 161, max 168). However, I was pretty sure the last one was going to be bad news.

I think I was starting out too fast on the first two, so I decided to start more conservatively and just shoot for 12:00 for the 2K. I planned to check every 200m to make sure I was on 1:12 for each. That was a good plan. I probably did give more than 85% on this last one, but I finished in 11:54! HR ave 162/max 169. I felt a sense of elation that I had finished well despite being sick.

I cooled down for 1600 easy (12:21), and stretched, and took some photos of the track (and a couple of my kids when I got home :)!). You'll notice that it's a beautiful place to work out, ringed by mountains and with a great view of the valley. The weather today was perfect - 55F (12-13C?) and a little breezy. Nice!!!

My times are definitely improving. I hope that continues! In the first set of 2Ks I did a few weeks ago I was unable to break 12:00, and in this set all were under 12:00. I still have a ways to go to get back to where I was last summer, but things are moving in the right direction.

Best of all, my foot did not hurt at all. I'm icing it now anyway prophylactically, but I think things are good.

1 comment:

Hunca Munca said...

How nice to see improvement even when you're not feeling well! Take care of yourself, though. The pictures of Calvin in the hat were really cute.