Thursday, April 22, 2010

ugh...slow day

I knew I'd be slow today because of recovering from being sick. But I decided to do the hard workout anyway. After all, it's not how fast you go, but how hard you work that matters. The speed will come when it comes.

Today I was to do a 5K fartlek again (I did this 2 weeks ago, and one week ago I did a 6K). I warmed up and stretched a bit, and this time I did the fartlek on 800E instead of at Liberty Park. There are some slight (very slight) hills on 800E but it was enough to be annoying. Maybe next time I'll do Liberty Park again.

The first 1K was in 5:58, and my legs felt kinda weak & wobbly. I knew it would be a slow day. Ave HR 157/max 166.

The rest of the workout was like this:

500m medium 3:19 (151/166)
500m hard 3:06 (162/166)
500m medium 3:13 (155/166)
500m hard 3:07 (163/166)
500m medium 3:27 (151/165)
500m hard 2:56 (160/166)
500m medium 3:16 (156/163)
500m hard 3:03 (166/170) I really laid it all on the line on this one, hoping to break 3:00. But no dice.

Other than being slow and having weak & wobbly legs, I felt fine. My lymph nodes are back to normal size and I feel all right. A little tired, because I tossed and turned a lot last night after napping in the afternoon, but the nap was needed.

I did not even think about my foot, except once, noting that it felt great. Yay! I am not even icing it now - it feels fine.

Mentally I am OK but could be better. Trying to remember that I was slow because I'm recovering and not because I'm lousy at this. A whole minute slower for 5K this week is not a happy thing! Also, the weight thing is not going well. Still 5-7 lb above desired racing weight and still eating too much crap. Last night I made some delicious artisan bread (for us to eat tonight after I work) and Loren and I ate almost a whole loaf. Ummmm, oops. Not good. Well, I still have probably 13 wk to the race, so I can still lose the weight but I have to get serious. Loren suggested that emotional eating was a problem for me, and that I need to try to avoid certain situations. Definitely true, so will be working on that.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

"It's not how fast you go, but how hard you work that matters. The speed will come when it comes."

TAMMY! Thanks for this. This is exactly what I needed. :)