Sunday, April 11, 2010

15k Sunday

Today was my longest walk in a long time. I think the last time I did 15k (9.3 miles) or more was in October at the Nike Women's Marathon. The weather was good --- warm at 55F; I wore SHORTS and a short-sleeved shirt! No gloves or hat, either! Nice :). Supposed to get colder & rainy again this week though.

It felt good to go long again...sort of. I had some serious GI issues that I think might have been a virus, or something weird I ate. I didn't have any dairy yesterday, so not sure what the deal is. I had some pain starting 25 min into workout and it continued on and off for the rest of the workout, sometimes so intensely that I had to stop. Ugh! It did ease a bit by an hour or so into the workout, but bothered me most of the rest of the day :(.

The other problem was my orthotics. The left one from the podiatrist started rubbing my foot on the outside (opposite where it has been hurting from the tendonitis). Annoying! Will have to call and get that fixed, because it was causing a blister.

The injury site didn't hurt at all during my walk. Later in the day after standing a lot at a birthday party it was bugging me, but I iced it and think it's OK now. Am not going to RW tomorrow so that should help. Maybe some biking then my weight training class.

Today's summary: 15k in 1:42:36 for 6:50/km (11:01/mile), ave HR 139.

***

"Outing" the coach :). I got permission...I guess I am not too embarrassing despite my rank amateur-ness. Seriously, I think he is interested in new clients who love RW, even if they are amateurs :). So if you are looking, tell him I sent you.

He's an Aussie named Jim Leppik, and he coaches Erin Taylor, who won the 50K national championships in February in Arizona. She also raced Portland-to-Coast last year, on the winning MEN'S team (they are allowed 2 women on a men's team), the only team to beat the team I was on (we were the winning women's team). He's quite knowledgeable about RW and biomechanics, and has written me a challenging schedule to prep for July's USATF Masters' National Championships. He seems to get the psychology end of things too...so if you are looking for a coach, you should consider him.

***

Weight Watchers this week: up 1.2 lb :(. Yeah, Easter candy. I know better. 2 more weeks to try to salvage my goals for 6 weeks. Not sure it's going to happen, but at least let's get things moving in the right direction again. I'm feeling optimistic.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Richardson said...

Again, congrats on getting the coach. I like how you talk about psychology part, too. National 20k next year!