Thursday, April 15, 2010

Liberty Park 6K fartlek

Yesterday I did 10k VERY easy racewalking (ave HR 133!) in 1:08:30ish. I felt sluggish and decided not to push it. Then did my PT and some weight training --- hamstring one-legged dead lifts, some one-legged squats, calf raises (which are part of my PT), and a bunch of other stuff, including lots of abs.

***

Today I warmed up with 2K over to Liberty Park in about 12:50 or so; forgot to push the lap button before my first hard 1K of the fartlek, so I don't know for sure how long it took but I think about 5:45. Here's a summary of what I did. The # in parentheses are average heart rate OR ave/max HR for an interval. The recovery intervals (medium effort) I only put ave HR.

2k w/u in 12:50 (downhill), then 6k fartlek (1k 5:45, 500m med 3:12 (148), 500m hard 2:56 (161/164), 500m med 3:24 (151), 500m hard 2:49 (162/168), 500m med 3:20 (149), 500m hard 2:56 (162/167), 500m med 3:37 (149), 500m hard 2:52 (161/166), 500m med 3:26 (150), 500m hard 2:58 (162/166), 2.14k c/d uphill 15:42 (141).

I did not push quite as hard as I did last week on the 5K fartlek; close, but not as much. I felt I pushed too hard on the last one last week, and it left me not wanting to do it again. So this time I went comfortably hard (if there is such a thing?). I felt great when I was done, and guess what? My foot was feeling VERY very good almost the whole time. On the last hill up to my house I felt a little something. I really am thinking that maybe, just maybe, I might be turning the corner on this. We'll see how it feels later today. Now I'm icing it and then off to work.

I feel GREAT this morning. I woke up in a decent mood despite several things that are bugging me (excess weight I can't seem to shed because I keep eating too much junk, some job issues for the husband, etc.). I didn't really want to do a hard workout, but once I got warmed up, I felt really good and was ready to go. My legs got pretty tired by the 5th interval or so, but not too bad...better than they have been.

It probably helps my mood that the weather is GORGEOUS today. It was 42 and calm when I left the house, and now it's up to 47. Supposed to be in the 70s today! Spring here is so weird. Days like this alternate with snow like we had on Tuesday.

I work today but not tomorrow this week, so I'll have off until Tuesday. Plus I get to do the Salt Lake City 1/2 marathon (albeit at an easy pace) on Saturday. I'm psyched! Going to be a fun weekend.

1 comment:

Hunca Munca said...

Wonderful! I love spring when it acts like spring. Glad your workout was so great and left you feeling so good. Sounds like you gauged your effort level perfectly. Have fun at the race on Saturday - I kinda wish I was doing it with you!