Sunday, April 04, 2010

Easter 12k racewalk with snowy scenes


There was fresh snow last night, just in time for Easter. It looked more like winter than spring this morning. At least there wasn't any snow on the roads, just on the grass, so it was no problem to walk. It was chilly at 29F (-1 or 2C?) but it wasn't windy, so it didn't feel too bad; I wore tights and fleece on my legs and a long sleeve and my Wasatch Walkers jacket on the top, plus gloves & hat. I thought it was snowing lightly when I left, but it actually wasn't.

I was to do 12k today, and after yesterday's hard effort I was a bit sore in the hamstrings and obliques. I felt pretty decent until 7k, and then the last 5k was tougher. I felt pretty tired and my legs were heavy. But I still finished at a 6:50/km (11:00/mile) pace, in 1:22:22. It was wonderful to be out there so long, and my foot didn't bother me. I noticed that it felt a little warm, but it has basically felt fine the rest of the day, including after playing the organ this morning for our Easter services at New Song. I did ice it twice, just to be sure. I'm planning to do some light PT exercises tonight before bed, since it's feeling OK.

I took a bunch of pictures, and some of them are pretty decent. They are here if you are interested in the snowy scenes along my favorite route, which includes Sugar House and Liberty parks.

No comments: