Tuesday, April 27, 2010

toe update; losing weight = happiness?

The toe is doing much better today. I was actually able to wear shoes! I was limping a bit, but made it through the day at work OK. Feet are pretty tired now, though. Lots of standing & walking in my job.

I'm hoping that tomorrow I will be able to racewalk. I don't think it's that farfetched, as I am a LOT better today than I was yesterday. Let's hope tomorrow brings more of the same. If I can't RW, I'll be able to do the elliptical or the bike for sure.

***


Several friends have posted this article about weight loss and happiness. My two cents is that though I do not believe weight loss = happiness, I do think that I am a lot happier after losing the weight. There are several reasons for this: 1) I was pretty well-adjusted before I lost the weight, and so it wasn't like I lost the weight but then had a lot of other problems to deal with (other than the usual life issues), 2) A lot of the negative emotions I did have were related to the weight - guilt over poor treatment of my body, anxiety over possible consequences, stress caused by loss of control when it came to food, etc., and 3) I didn't have the mood-elevating effects of good cardio exercise.

Now that I have lost the weight, I no longer have so many negative emotions related to food. In addition, knowing that I look good is a very liberating experience (one I have never felt before, because though I wasn't heavy as a teen, I was very self-conscious and unpopular, and never felt confident in my apprearance). Finally, and most significantly, finding a sport that I am good at has made a huge difference in my life. I have enjoyed so many wonderful experiences linked to racewalking, and they have truly enriched my life over the past few years.

Weight loss does not = happiness. My life still has the usual ups and downs. Weight loss has made things a lot better, but life is what you make of it, in large part. I think weight loss has contributed to my improved mood and outlook, but it is not a cure-all. Still, it surely beats the alternative. I would not ever want to go back to the way I was.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad the toe is doing better, Tammy. Struggle with plantar fasciitis all winter, so I know how frustrating it is when you can't move like you really want to.

Regarding the article - you're absolutely correct. Unfortunately, I was not so well-adjusted before losing the weight, so I have some ongoing issues - the main one being I still think I don't look good because of all the skin. Do I look better? Perhaps, but the issues are just differnt. Before, it was all the weight, now it's all the extra skin.

I also don't believe weight loss = happiness, but like you, it has improved my life tremendously - especially my health and anxiety is some areas. Also like you - I would NEVER go back, although the battle to keep from going back sometimes seems daunting in and of itself.

Thanks for your two cents!

Jon

Erica Murray Wright said...

Tammy,

Thanks for posting your thoughts and the photo of you and Loren at the wedding is really great!

Erica