Tuesday, April 05, 2016

10K; improving?

I think I'm improving :).

Today I did 10K on the Jordan River Parkway (JRP) with Kelly and Sugar. Pain levels were mostly 1 with sometimes 2, and not increasing during the workout. Yay! Legs felt fine all the way to the end, unlike on Saturday when the last km was quite tiring (which is why I stopped; tired + possible resultant bad form = possible injury aggravation). Now, I was very slow today, but I started off slow and not feeling great mentally, and picked it up at the end - we barely negative split the workout. Besides, I'm OK with being slow because I did the distance and the pain wasn't bad. If I can train again hard soon, speed will come (I keep telling myself that).

I'm proud of this workout because I really wanted to quit in the first 3-4km. Kelly and I were both feeling mentally blah, and somehow kept each other going. I am getting to the point with this injury that I'm almost like "Why bother?" because RW is just going to hurt and I will be very slow because I can't train hard enough to get faster. So it was critical to get through a workout in good stead. I told myself this one was critical because I need to do 15km on Saturday so I can do the SL 1/2 on the next Saturday. Now of course if my injury had bothered me I'd have stopped, but endurance-wise I knew I needed to find a way to make this work. After about 4km though I felt better and got my second wind. I tired a little at 9km but it wasn't bad, just a little bit. 1:07:21 for 6:44/km with ave HR 142.

We celebrated with a trip to Mimi's Cafe for breakfast. I was well-behaved and ate steel cut oats and some turkey sausage and lots of COFFEE :). Mmmmm, warm tasty goodness. The weather was nice outside (7.2C = 45F) and calm and clear, but it was still chilly in damp clothing after stopping, so the coffee was awesome.

Got back to the car after breakfast to see this, which made me laugh out loud, literally :). I wish she could've driven me home :)!

No comments: