Wednesday, January 22, 2014

still slower to go faster

Yesterday: 30 min elliptical. My legs were tired. Not the weird soreness, thankfully, just tired. I was glad to have cross-training.

***

Today: 3K fartlek. I knew it would be very slow. I didn't expect it would be as slow as it was, but I am OK with it. I have to go slower to be faster. I have to fix my technique flaws or I'll be injured again, and I cannot afford that as I am trying to get back into the swing of things.

The weather was typical January, at 21F (-6C) and hazy. The air pollution has been getting really bad here, as it often does in the winter. The shape of the Salt Lake Valley causes a weather phenomenon called temperature inversion, when high pressure traps colder air lower and it's colder in the city than up in the mountains. Colder, and hazier. And as the high pressure traps cold air, it also traps pollutants from industry, cars, and homes (wood-burning, etc.). It's nasty. The secret to working out in it is to go in the morning, when the PM2.5 (particulate) levels are lower. They were only 11 this morning when I walked, which is in the "green" (non-hazardous) range. So, earlier is colder (and darker…pitch black before 7) but healthier on the lungs. Oh, and I had to go on the road because the track is still under snow.

I warmed up, working hard on technique. The first 500m felt awkward, and so I stopped, racewalked VERY slowly for a bit, and then gradually accelerated until I felt I had it again. After that I felt my technique was very solid. Feet a bit farther apart, weight back, tuck butt under, keep arms back, etc. I worked it hard the whole workout today. My warmup was just under 2km at a 6:30/km pace.

Then I got started and the fartlek was ridiculously slow - my fast intervals were 3:00, 3:00, 3:06, and 3:00. The medium efforts were 3:11 and 3:09. Total: 18:27 with average HR only 151. I FELT like my HR was MUCH much higher - perceived effort was hard on the fast intervals, and medium on the others. I swear I was working hard - but I think it's just the technique changes haven't gotten wired in to the nervous system yet so it's not really all working together well.

The good news is I did a fair amount of sitting this morning at work (injections) and had only a small amount of soreness/stiffness. I'm definitely on the mend, so I just have to keep telling myself that even if I am slow I am on the upswing now. Eventually it will get better. I have to be patient.

Garmin data here.

No comments: