Saturday, January 11, 2014

12K - New Year's Revolution Run

Yesterday (Friday), I did the elliptical for 1 hour at the gym. My legs felt good.

***

Today was the New Year's Revolution Run at the Olympic Oval. Basically, you pay your entry fee and then you try to run/walk/whatever for as many laps as you can (442m per lap in lane 1; 448.3 in lane 2) between 8am and 1pm.

Jim wanted me to try for 12K today. I have to admit I wasn't sure I was going to make it that far, as I haven't done it since September, and it was a miserable slog then. But I am feeling better, so I figured it was worth a shot.

In lane 2, 12K is 26.76 laps. I started off a bit fast, and settled in by lap 3 or 4 (I was doing 6:01-6:05ish for the first 3 laps!). I wanted to do 6:15 or 6:20/km pace, but that was a bit optimistic I think. I ended up with 1:18:15 for 6:31/km with ave HR 152. My legs got heavy about 6 or 7km in, but they didn't feel awful. I was just slow. They never had that weird pain, thankfully - maybe it's going away, finally? The last couple km were harder, and my legs were quite tired, but it wasn't a death march. At the end I was doing about 6:45/km, but that's not THAT terrible, all things considered. Actually, this 12K was about a minute or a minute and a half faster than the last 12K that I did, back on the first weekend in September when I went to the Salmon Marathon with Sarah. And it felt a lot better today, too.

Afterward, Sarah and I enjoyed breakfast at the Belgian Waffle and Omelet Inn. We split a veggie omelet and French toast, and it was lovely.

When I got home, I spent a couple hours vacuuming out the car and then cleaning the upholstery - the kids got head lice and it's been a nightmare… and today it was really WARM out - weirdly warm for January at 50F (10C) - so it was the perfect day to clean the car. That pretty much wasted me for the day, so now I'm going for a much-deserved nap.

Garmin data here.

No comments: