Thursday, April 19, 2012

cross-training; 10K

Yesterday I cross-trained. Not for very long, though. I caught some stomach bug from Loren and spent an hour or 2 in the middle of the night tossing and turning and feeling nauseated. When I woke up, it was late and I only managed to get in 20 min on the elliptical, which was about all I could manage in my nauseated state anyway. I only worked for a few hours before heading home to nap for a while before picking up the kids from school. I barely ate all day, but by evening the nausea abated a bit and I was able to eat some.

***

Today I felt OK when I woke up, so I went out for 10K. I didn't have high hopes, coming off the stomach thing and with my hip in an iffy condition. Jim said it was most likely a spasm, and I think he was right, because it felt OK today. It bothered me a tiny bit to start, and I stopped to stretch it at about 4km, but other than that it really felt much better than on Tuesday. I think I just pulled it a bit in the fast track workout on Monday (which made my quads hurt, by the way), and then on Tuesday it was still tender. After a few days of rest and anti-inflammatories, it's mostly better, I hope.

What surprised me was the speed of my workout. I took it easy, as evidenced by my heart rate (ave 144), but I was very, very fast. I finished the 10K in just 59:15, for 5:55/km!

I have a half marathon on Saturday and I'm now hoping for a really good fast time. It's a mostly downhill/flat race, so chances are good as long as my hip is 100%.

Garmin data here.

1 comment:

Malaika said...

Awesome to see you too Tammy! Congrats on your PR. Have a great race in Riverside!