Tuesday, April 17, 2012

5K - hip pain

I was to do 15K today but that was not in the cards. My hip started to hurt about 1km in, and by 2.5km I was wondering if it was wise to continue. I stopped and stretched a couple of times, but it didn't help that much. By 3.5km I knew it wasn't going to get better. I think it might be the IT band where it attaches at the hip, though I'm not sure. The pain is worst during the part of my gait where the right leg (the painful one) is weight bearing, and it hurts less when I walk on the left side of the road, where the cant of the road is sloping toward the right leg. I stopped at a little after 3.5km and walked home slowly (just brisk regular walking) and it hurt a lot less doing that. I arrived at home at 5km on my Garmin (35:xx). However, walking in to work from my car and walking to today's earthquake drill at work has made it ache just sitting here at my desk.

When I got home from my walk, I took an anti-inflammatory (naprosyn) and rolled on the foam roller and stretched a bit. It does not seem to be the piriformis; I've had that hurt before and this feels different. I also did a few hip hikes on the stairs to work my abductors a bit and will do some of the IT band PT exercises I had from when my left leg had IT band problems a few years ago. I'm not sure that is the problem, though, as I've only had it hurt in my knee before. I know it can hurt in the hip, but since I have no personal experience with it I'm not sure that's it.

In any case, I am supposed to cross-train tomorrow, so hopefully a day off, stretching, anti-inflammatories, etc. will do wonders for this. Somehow, I'm not optimistic, though. Seems like I generally have something like this right before a race when training is going really well :(.

2 comments:

malvs2walk said...

sorry you are having issues with your hip. Hope you get that sorted out quickly!

Harriet said...

I've heard it said that the difference between being optimally trained and injured is razor thin.

I hope that you haven't crossed over yet.

But as you said, you've been there before, and your past results have been pretty good!