Tuesday, April 03, 2012

5x800/200

Ah, an easy little workout! NOT! This was really hard today, probably because I started off too fast and then my legs were just wasted by the end. I haven't done this one in a while, so it was tough to pace myself properly. I was afraid of going too slow because I've been doing longer intervals, but then I went too fast.

I worked out in the late morning at the track at the U. It's a fairly new track, and I haven't tried it yet, mostly because the one at East High is generally more convenient. But today I got up late and so I skipped the early am workout and went straight to work a bit earlier than usual, so I was able to sneak out for a track workout.

Here's a photo of the track from the U website:

Today it was more beautiful than the picture, though, because it was clear & sunny and the mountains were snow-covered. It was about 50F (10C) and windy at the track. Not so windy that it cost me a lot of time or anything, but it was definitely windy.

I warmed up for 1600m in about 9:45 with a few fast 100s in there to get the legs going. I felt pretty good. I did some dynamic stretching and then started the set. I was to do 800m, rest 30 sec, then 200m, rest 2 min, and repeat for a total of 5 sets. I went way, way too fast on the first 800 (I did stop briefly at 500m to turn off my auto lap - grrrr!). I did a 4:09. Oops. That cost me for the rest of the workout. I followed that up with the fastest 200m I think I have ever done: 55.6. Smokin'! Only I didn't save much for later. The rest of the workout got ugly fast, though it could have been worse. I was hurting a lot - my legs were just totally unresponsive and floppy by the end. The last 800 was very painful and slow, too. Here are my times for the rest of the intervals: 4:16.2, 55.9, 4:24.2, 58.2, 4:17.6, 57.9, 4:26.7, 58.5.

Despite the slowness at the end, I think this is one of my fastest sets of 800s (on average), and the 200s were definitely pretty good. I wish I had been more consistent, though. Sorry coach. This workout takes practice to get consistent, and I haven't done it in a while. That's my excuse anyway :).

Garmin data here.

1 comment:

Nyle said...

Wow!!! your 200's are WAY WAY faster than mine....you were fair smokin! Great stuff.