Sunday, January 29, 2012

nice fast 12K

I'm baaaaack! I feel like I'm well-recovered now. After 10K yesterday I did 12K today (first time walking 2 days in a row since the 50K), and I was pretty fast. Happy! Best of all, nothing is hurting.

I went later than usual because when I woke this morning I was just not in the mood for a walk in the dark and the cold. So, somehow I conned my husband into taking the kids to Costco after church to pick up some items, and I got to go for a walk. Midday. In the sun. In 36F (2.4C). Much better than dark and cold :). Thank you, Loren!

The warm sun agreed with me, I guess. Though I felt a little stiff when I started out, I was nice and fast this morning. I had decided to do 12K before I went, because I know I'll want my mileage base to be a little bigger than it has been when Jim sends me my new schedule, which I suspect will be in a week or two. I don't want to be struggling too much when I start training; it's usually hard to start up again as it is. Anyway, I loosened up after a km or so and was feeling good and worked hard on getting my right knee to come through lower. That's been a problem and in the 50K photos I could tell it was still not right. In addition, my right shin hurt quite a bit after the 50K and I don't want to re-injure the darn thing. So, time for some technique tweaking.

Total time: 1:14:21 for 12K (6:12/km) with ave HR around 150 (HR monitor was spiking at the start, so the 152 in the data is wrong for sure; it might be even a bit lower). Nice.

Garmin connect data here.

***

Other random stuff:

After a little lunch, I took the kids ice skating and practiced my moves for an hour. I'm getting better, but I'm nothing to look at on the ice. I'm lucky when I don't fall flat on my face :).

My dad came over for dinner, since my mom is in Dallas visiting her sister. Dad and I made salmon on the bbq and enjoyed a good visit. It was a very enjoyable afternoon, except for the bad news that my grandma, who has been suffering from Alzheimer's, had to be taken to the hospital. She was released pretty quickly once they determined that she'd had a stroke; with her advanced Alzheimer's there was nothing they could or should do. I'm sad to know that she will probably not be around much longer; still, I'm glad her suffering will be over. Mixed feelings.

No comments: