Monday, January 02, 2012

10K

Saturday night I was pretty miserable - nauseated and could hardly eat. Ditto for Sunday morning, though by last night I was definitely feeling a bit better. Needless to say, I took a rest day yesterday.

My stomach is feeling better today. I'm still a little weak, and have to be careful how much I eat, but I woke feeling up to at least attempting the planned 10K. Such a short little easy workout - but not so much when you are coming off being ill. Still, it wasn't so bad.

The weather was OK for this time of year, at 23F (-5C) and calm and clear. I've actually really lucked out with the weather for my 50K training this year - it's been unusually dry in December, which has helped out a lot. I've only had to take a few workouts inside.

I started off feeling pretty decent. I was a little stiff/sore from the combination of Saturday's hard 10K fartlek and Sunday's lying around in bed, but I started off OK. However, by 3K I was noticing my tired legs, and I just knew I had to keep it nice and easy and not push too hard. Time didn't matter on this one, just getting it done. By 5K I was more tired, but I got a little bit of a second wind and was able to cruise to the end, slowing yes, but not too badly. I could really feel how my training kept me going when my body was tired, which was a good feeling.

Total time: 1:03:16 for 6:20/km (10:11/mile) with ave HR 144.

Garmin connect data here.

No comments: