Sunday, January 22, 2012

exciting day

Today my friend Erin Taylor-Talcott racewalked in the 50K Olympic Trials and turned in a fabulous 4:33:22 time for a new women's American record, and also went down as the 8th fastest woman in history. John Nunn and Tim Seaman dueled it out for 1st and 2nd place, respectively, in 4:04:38 and 4:05:50 (close!!!).

Later, the Giants and 49ers battled it out in overtime. Sadly, the 49ers lost, but what a game!

***

I did manage to squeeze in some workout time this weekend. Saturday I did an hour on the elliptical (8.4 miles), and then did some figure skating practice in the afternoon for about 45 min w/the kids. Today I went out for an easy walk in the morning, thinking to do 10-12km. Nope. It was SUPER icy out there after yesterday's snowstorm. Like a skating rink in most places; some streets were better than others, and Liberty Park was just dreadful. 600 East was not so good, but 800 East was OK. Yeah, I tried them all :). I got in about 8K (5 miles) at a ridiculously slow 6:43/km and that was enough. My glutes were whining, probably because of the awkward technique. Because I felt a bit sore all day, I did another 2 miles on the treadmill this evening to loosen up. It felt good, and it was at a much more reasonable 5.8 mph pace.

Tomorrow I'll either walk or do the elliptical, depending on the weather and my mood. I'm really enjoying some time off of the hard workouts!

2 comments:

Harriet said...

4:33 that is a Ray Sharp type of time.

I wonder though: in the running marathon the women's WB is just under 2:20 whereas the men run under 2:05 and the 50K is about 1/6'th longer. So given that the men's record is 3:34, I'd bet that if women were given the incentive to train for the 50K (make it an Olympic event) we'd see the top women walking just under 4 hours.

Tammy said...

I agree that if the top women had an incentive to train we'd see some sub-4:00 times. No doubt there. And despite the naysayers, I believe there are plenty of women who would do it if there were World Cup and Olympic medals to be had.