Friday, January 27, 2012

busy work week; iffy weather


This was the scene last Sunday when I walked and when it was super slippery. We've had a couple more snows since then and so I've been inside quite a bit this week. It's nice to not be training hard; if the weather is not to my liking I can just do the elliptical. I did the elliptical on Monday, Tuesday, and Friday this week. I took a rest day on Wednesday (slug!), and on Thursday I did racewalk 8.6K. I finally feel like I'm over my cold, and also finally feel like I'm fully recovered from the 50K (at least from what I can tell). The 8.6K racewalk didn't make my legs sore the next day, and it felt fine. Other than losing my second toenail on my right foot (it's not all the way off yet, but it will be soon), I'm feeling good. I'm not mentally ready to start training yet; but my coach said I'd have the rest of January off so I'm guessing I'll have next week to continue my recovery.

I will admit that I've not been eating particularly well, either. However, I seem to have only gained about a pound, which is a relief. I've exercised enough to keep it at bay. Whew. Seriously, though, I shouldn't worry about it, because that pound will come off when I start training again, and I'll eat better too. It's easier for me to eat better when I'm training, oddly enough. Part of that is the fear factor - if I eat too much garbage, I'll have GI problems on my walk the next day, and that's not pleasant. Part of it is just that when I'm training I'm burning more calories so I have a bit more leeway in my diet. I still fit in my small jeans though, so I'm fine.

I haven't posted much this week, mostly because I've been really busy at work this week. Work is going well, so this is not a problem, but I'm glad I'm not training hard right now for that reason too. I'm enjoying the challenges of the job right now, and feel like I'm getting a chance to learn some fascinating new things and work on a very interesting project. I also heard some great talks this week and read a few interesting papers. But it's been busy, and I'm going to have to go in tomorrow morning for a couple hours. But before I do, I'll be sure to get in at least a good 10K of racewalking :). It's supposed to be chilly in the morning (22F) but at least not windy or snowing, so it should be a good morning for a walk.

1 comment:

Harriet said...

The streets are a bit better than that here; we've had about an inch. I won't be running outdoors today.