Friday, August 20, 2010

starting over again

I lost a lot of fitness in my 3 weeks off. Yeah, it was only 3 weeks off, but I'm definitely feeling it now that I'm back.

Today I was to do a 3km fartlek. A little nothing workout. It totally had my number.

I warmed up for 1 mile (1.6km) and did some dynamic flexibility drills. Then I started the workout. 1 km hard, and I was feeling good. I was sure I'd have about 5:30. Nope. 5:38. That was a wake-up call. The first recovery was slooooow, in 3:20 (for 500m medium effort). Ugh! I continued. 500m hard in 2:54. 500m medium in 3:13. 500m hard, uphill slightly, in 2:58.

Total: 18:03 for the 3K. That's not so good. Oh well!

My coach says that the first workout back is always lousy. He didn't use the word lousy, though ;).

My hamstrings were sore today from yesterday's 10K, which is lame, but probably explains some of this. I'm not happy about losing fitness, but it is what it is. Have to start from somewhere. My iron is probably still a bit low as well, and mentally it's not been that great either. My grandma (dad's mom, age 86) and grandpa (mom's dad, age 90) are both declining significantly over the last month. In addition, my dad's health hasn't been good.

The good news? I am not injured, I get to racewalk, and that's awesome. I am going to enjoy it, fast or slow. And slow is just what is to be expected for now.

No comments: