Monday, August 30, 2010

cross-training + weights

Today was an optional day, and I set my alarm for later, so that if I didn't wake up I could just go lift weights with Lisa. But I woke up around 6:15, so I had time to get to the gym a bit early and cross-train. I opted for 30 min on the stationary bike, and enjoyed reading while biking. It was POURING rain and thunderstorming this morning, and only about 50F (10C). We're going to have more warm weather, but I can tell fall is coming all too soon. Sigh...

After 30 min on the bike, I lifted weights. Supersets (3 sets each exercise): abduction on multi-hip machine/dumbbell chest press 30 lb per arm; single-leg squats/Arnold press; row/bridges on exercise ball (hold bridges 30 sec ea); calf raises on machine/tricep extensions. Then core: plank 1 min 45 sec, oblique crunches on ball, ball passes from feet to hands (lower abs), crunches on ball.

My hamstrings were fine after the 15k, but now they are a bit sore from the bridges on the ball. My calves are also sore from the calf raises on the machine - have been doing the single-leg calf raises w/o machine and I guess it's pretty different. Other than that, I'm feeling good and ready for my 6K fartlek tomorrow.

No comments: