Monday, August 16, 2010

hematocrit

Yesterday I tried again to donate platelets. It's been a while since last time, and I've been taking iron supplements, so I thought I'd see if I could donate. I couldn't. But the good news is that my hematocrit is up from 35 to 37. It has to be 38 to donate, but 37 is lots better, so that's good. Maybe in another month I'll be up to 38; probably will get my iron checked one more time to see if the numbers are high enough. Hard to racewalk as fast as you are capable of if your blood doesn't have enough oxygen-carrying capacity!

2 comments:

Hunca Munca said...

If you really, really, really want to donate platelets, don't drink anything for a day or two and get plenty of exercise outside. Your hematocrit will rise nicely! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha just kidding - you're so generous to even try to donate while also trying to boost your iron!

Tammy said...

Fortunately, platelet donations don't compromise your oxygen-carrying capacity since they put the RBCs back. I have to admit that I would not donate whole blood right now because I need my RBCs!