Thursday, October 01, 2009

Brrrrrrrrr

It was COLD this morning. As my friend Ollie says, "spandex season" is here. Time to get out the running tights, the long sleeve shirts, the gloves, fleece ear warmer, etc. A cold front with lots of rain came through and the high was probably in the upper 40s yesterday, and this morning my thermometer said 36F (2C) when I walked out the door. (I'm glad it didn't freeze, because I want my tomatoes to keep going for a few more weeks!).

Actually, with all my gear on, I was plenty warm and it was a perfect morning for a racewalk. It was dry and clear, and very beautiful. The first mile felt a little sluggish, and my foot hurt. It's been hurting more this week, probably because I have not been wearing my new orthotics. I really felt like they were helping a lot. Too bad that they don't fit right in my RW shoes and that I don't have time to figure all that out before the race. I digress.

By the second mile, I was starting to feel much better; my gait eased into a good rhythm, my foot felt better, and I was enjoying my day. I love racewalking so much! I'm going to really miss it when I have to do something else for a bit to allow my foot to heal. I still haven't decided what that something else is going to be or which gym to join (the U Field House or Steiner), but I'll figure it out. I really like the elliptical, but it might be too weight-bearing to allow for full recovery. I think I will e-mail my PT and ask his opinion.

Totals: 3.94 miles (6.32km) in 41:02 for 10:25/mile. Same route as Monday, but a minute slower.

3 comments:

Kristen and Erik Cambridge said...

When you need to do your alternative workout,I think you should swim haha. I know you will hate that suggestion.

Harriet said...

:-)

For me, it is about to be swimsuit season as this "glitch" behind my knee is not healing. I'll tell myself: rest now, be on the roads by spring! :-)

Good luck with that marathon!

Nyle said...

We are just in to our spring..with summer on the horizon. Daylight savings started giving us an hour longer sunlight in the evenings so when I get back from Aussie it will be BBQ weather.

It has been really hard for me to train in the winter..I dont do cold well at all. But as you say....once you rug up and get going it doesnt take long to get warm.