Wednesday, October 14, 2009

what we've been up to

It's been busier than usual at our house. Don't know why, but I'm posting the details of the days so you can get an idea of the insanity. Sorry if it's boring!

Monday was Loren's 40th birthday, and he had the day off from work (Columbus Day) because he's a federal employee. I spent the morning doing the usual stuff: grocery shopping, house cleaning, laundry, and some errands. I also made some kielbasa bean soup in the crock pot for dinner. In the afternoon, during Michelle's nap, I went to get Loren a present. Last minute, I know, but I knew what he wanted and it was easy to get (I got him a wireless grill thermometer). Then I baked him a coconut cake (which was amazing; 2nd time I've made it and just as good as the 1st time) and made cornbread to go with the soup for dinner.

We enjoyed a great birthday meal with my parents and the kids. After dinner I had to rush off to my Weight Watchers meeting (up 2.4 lb; not surprising since I always gain after a big race - and besides, I've been eating a lot of cake!). I received a Lifetime key award for keeping my weight under my goal weight for at least 10 months this year (10/10 so far, and it will be 12/12 soon!). It was a good meeting - we set new goals, got refocused, and I got to tell everyone about my Portland Marathon victory :). Finally, I went to our church women's group meeting; we're discussing a really great book and I loved the meeting even though I was pretty thrashed from the busy day.

Yesterday I worked for 6.5 hrs, and then left to go to my parents' house and help unload the first of 3 containers with their stuff in it. It took us about 1.5 hrs to unload it all, and that was a serious weight training workout. Lots of lifting: boxes, furniture, garden implements, etc.

Today I woke at 5 am to get my parents to the airport by 5:35 am, and then went to work for 2.5 hrs. After work, I taught 2 piano lessons, and then took the kids on some errands. First to the thrift store to get some Halloween costumes for them (Calvin will be a dog; Michelle will be Cinderella), then to the bank to deposit some checks, then to the shoe store to get the kids some socks and shoes, then to Kohl's ($10 discount coupon :)!) to get shoes for myself and a birthday present for Calvin's friend.

I was loathe to buy a pair of shoes, but I had to. My orthotics do not fit in my old model of RW shoes (the shoes rub the top of my L foot when wearing them) and I want to save my new model of RW shoes for RW and not for walking around in. Grrrr. So I got some New Balance 556, which I think actually might work for RW, too. However, I'm just going to use them to wear for everyday use, since the orthotics fit well in them. They feel good so far.

Exercise this week: Monday morning 1 hr on the elliptical (doc said this would be OK for resting my foot since I can do it flat-footed); Tuesday morning 45 min on the elliptical; Today - rest day, because I was taking my parents to the airport instead of hitting the gym (which doesn't open until 5 am) and then I had to go to work from 6-8:30. I might be able to get in something tonight, but not likely. A rest day won't hurt, since I'm going to go to San Francisco this weekend to coach the Nike Women's Marathon. I'll likely do at least 26 miles on Sunday... poor foot. I have been resting it (except for TNT workout last Saturday) and it's feeling OK, but I really need to REST it for a period of weeks on end. Soon, foot, I promise. Very soon. Just gotta get through this weekend.

I need a nap now to make it through the day after getting up earlier than usual. After that we still need to get flu shots, make dinner, and go to Costco. Too much to do, and too little time.

1 comment:

Harriet said...

I too have been making friends with an elliptical trainer. :-)

ollie