Saturday, October 24, 2009

time off

It's odd to have time off from racewalking. I'm still trying to adjust to it, though I have actually been taking time off since the Portland Marathon 10/4, with the notable exception of 2 "workouts": 1) TNT workout on 10/11, and 2) Nike Women's Marathon on 10/18. Other than that, I have been doing bike, elliptical, and weights.

After Nike, I have decided to forego elliptical for a month. Gulp. That's the cardio machine I find most tolerable, even fun. But it's weight bearing, and though my doc said it was OK, I just have a feeling about it. That sounds superstitious. Let me clarify: when I do it, I notice my foot. My foot doesn't hurt, ache or anything like that. It's just that I notice that it's a bit warm, tingly, something. And I don't want to notice anything. So, I'm going to avoid the elliptical for a month of my two months off.

That leaves biking (too cold in the morning right now! I'm a biking wimp!), stationary biking (boring, and hard work, but at least I can read while I do it), or swimming (boring, but doesn't feel as hard as biking). If any of you have other suggestions, I'm open to them. Oh, and of course my weight training (but no calf raises for me!).

Yesterday I actually did the stationary bike for an hour. I admit that I watched the clock for the whole time; however, the fact that I could read while doing it made it ever-so-much-more-tolerable. This morning I was shorter on time so I biked for 40 min. I could swim, but right now only the outdoor pool is open due to repairs to the indoor pool, and I'd rather swim inside in this weather. I know, when the water is warm it really doesn't matter, but it's just a mental thing. The indoor pool is slated to open on Monday, but even then, I'm not sure I want to swim. It takes longer to get ready, it's just as boring as the bike, and I can't read or listen to music while I do it. I suppose I'll probably do some swimming when I get bored enough with the bike, though.

I don't want to sound too negative. Actually, I feel lucky that I can still work out and that I'm healthy and maintaining my weight. And I do feel better after riding the bike than if I didn't do anything at all. It sure is making me appreciate racewalking that much more. 1 week down, 7 to go :).

No comments: