Wednesday, August 12, 2009

miscellany

It's been busy this week, with my 18-miler and then work and the usual house stuff (y'know, laundry, cooking, cleaning, etc.). I like the hard training, but it's difficult to fit in with everything else. I have been trying (and succeeding somewhat) to get a bit more sleep, which has helped. Thankfully I'm home today and can try & catch up on some things and play with the kids too :).

***

Pet peeve: SUVs which are MADE for going off-road over rocks, bumpy terrain, etc., going VERY VERY SLOWLY (i.e. 2 mph) over speed bumps in parking lots. Um, hello?!? I don't get it.

***

Workout yesterday: did an easy 1.7 miles to the track, then 3x1 mile repeats in 9:22, 9:27, and 9:22. Then an easy 1.7 back home. I ate ice cream on Monday night; not a lot, but just a little, and I knew that was not gonna be good for my track workout. Yeah, I had some GI pain and had to go VERY slowly the last 0.2 home because everything just kind of hurt. Anyway, did 6.4 miles in 1:06:xx. Right piriformis was sore for the first mile, then was all right after stretching it out a bit. I have a PT appt for next Tuesday, but meanwhile I might take Nyle's advice and get a massage if Lars is available.

Today: Biked to my weight training class and did walking lunges, bench press, assisted chin-ups (yeah, I can't do them w/o the assist machine - lame!), hamstring curls, hip abductors & flexors on hip machine, biceps, triceps, glutes w/cable, and "8-minute abs" that were very hard --- our instructor led us in a series of 16 30-second exercises. Ouch! I thought my abs were in pretty good shape, but that was a toughie.

Tonight: Going to do a brick workout w/the triathlon team (TNT) just for fun. Swim 200 w/u, 1500 timed, 200 c/d, then 3 mile run (racewalk for me :)!). Loren agreed to watch the kids because I didn't go out on Monday night :).

***

Weight: Have had a very good 3 weeks and still going strong. Has not been easy, but I think I am down a little more. Hard to tell, with fluctuation due to water retention etc. I was officially down 0.6 lb at WW on Monday and that seems about right. Losses are slow at this point, but that is fine. Just want to get down about another 2-3 lb before 10/4 if possible; that might not happen, but at least I'm lower than I was at the end of last summer now :) and at a pretty good racing weight. Still---every lb is possibly a minute off of my time in the marathon, so it matters.

3 comments:

malvs2walk said...

you are making fantastic progress!

Lani said...

RE: your pet peeve
There's a company in LA that will apply fake mud to your SUV so that it can look like it's been off road. Not all SUV's can actually handle going off road more than a normal car (you'd be really surprised what a volvo can do). Those are just stationwagons on steroids.

Nyle said...

That's a great pace you set for your 6 mile (10.24 km) You are coming along really quickly. Well done.

You will be amazed at the difference a massage and can make and also ask about some butt stretches....

re: pet peeve...here in NZ about 90% of 4x4 (SUV's) don't even go off road or touch gravel. You wonder why people go out and buy such huge tanks??? over compensating maybe...lol

Keep up the great workouts.