Monday, August 10, 2009

18 miles

Nice weather this morning for my 18-miler (29km)! It was a refreshingly cool 57 degrees F (13.8C) when I started, with the usual low humidity. I actually got a bit chilly at points - along the Jordan River Parkway, where I walked, it has colder spots because of the proximity of the water. My hands were quite chilled for several miles near 3900 South.

I started at 5:05 am, and did the first 3.83 alone (was going to do 4, but running late!). At 5:45 am, I met Sue at Walden Park (5400 South) for 10 miles with her. SO wonderful to have someone to talk with; it makes the miles fly by much faster. I was feeling pretty good until mile 9, when I started having some intestinal cramping. It was minor as those things go, but it did slow us down a bit (it never got too bad, and resolved by mile 13ish). We averaged about 10:51 per mile through mile 14. Then Sue had to go, and I did the last 4 alone. My training plan suggests picking up the pace with 3-4 miles (5-6.5 km) to go on long days, and so I did. My heart rate was in the upper 130s (about 72-73% max) for most of the first 14 miles, and I decided to ratchet it up to 150-155 (78-81% max) for the last 4. I thought it would feel miserable, but it really wasn't so bad... and I was faster than I thought, too! I did the last 4 in pretty much exactly 41 min, for 10:15/mile.

I'm quite pleased with this - if I could crank out 4 miles like that at the end of a marathon, well, that would be great. Yeah, I know, a marathon is much more than 18 miles, but still, I'm encouraged. Last week I was able to do the same thing at the end, but only for 2 miles, and it seemed much harder. Progress... or maybe just more time since I donated blood? Whichever it is, I don't mind. I feel strong and good. Oh, except for that nagging R piriformis, which is still literally a pain in the butt. I have a PT appt for 8/18, so hopefully that will help.

1 comment:

Nyle said...

Well done. You must be really pleased with that. I still am amazed you get up and walk alone at 5am. Have you tried massage for the piriformis that keeps niggling?? But at least you can still keep up a good steady pace for that distance....I think I would struggle to keep up with you.