Thursday, July 30, 2009

Interesting day

Alarm went off at 5 am and I pushed snooze... then I heard the doorbell. Maybe I was dreaming? No, it was the doorbell - I heard it again, and so did Loren. Rushed upstairs and it was a policeman at the door asking if the Buick was our car. Turns out they caught a guy in our car and when they saw him, he fled into the alley. They nabbed him and jailed him, fortunately. He had broken into a BMW a few blocks away and then was after whatever he could get from us. We didn't have any valuables in the car, and nothing was missing anyway. Guess they got him in time.

I was relieved that everything was OK, but it did disrupt my plans a little; got started late on my workout. I did 4 miles instead of 5, but I did do the 3 @ marathon pace like I was supposed to. I felt pretty good this morning. The blood donation doesn't seem to have affected slower paces quite as much as track workout paces.

Then it was off to the dentist. I have lousy teeth. I take really good care of them, but just got dealt a lousy genetic hand. I need 1 filling replaced, and there is another tooth that needs a new (albeit small) filling. Grrr. $$$$$. While I was there I made an appointment for Michelle to have her teeth cleaned, too (her first of many!). Yay. More $$$$$. Oh well, at least Loren and I have jobs and can pay for it, even if there are more exciting things to spend one's money on.

Work was good today. I was worried I'd be really tired, but I actually felt decent all day and got a lot done. I embedded some 7-day zebrafish larvae in freezing medium and froze them for cryosectioning. Then I did 10-micron sections and had fun looking at the anatomy. I'm starting to learn what things look like, which is good. Tomorrow I'm going to stain some of the slides and hopefully they will come out well.

After our crock pot dinner (love the crock pot!), Calvin and I rushed off to a meeting about his preschool computer program, UPSTART. It's funded by the state of Utah (amazing that they actually are funding this great program!) and has helped Calvin to learn to read. Yes, he can read now! Anyway, it was good to meet some of the people involved in this effort, and they had stickers for the kids and giant Rusty and Rosy characters (the cute mascots for the program) for the kids to meet, hug, etc. Calvin was SO taken by them - he hugged them repeatedly, high-fived them, and ran around playing with their tails. Very cute. I do have photos but am not going to download them now - too tired.

Then I took Calvin to get some ice cream at Maggie Moo's, and indulged in kids' size cone for myself. Seriously, I love chocolate SO much. I wish I could eat it all the time without consequences. Oh well... at least I controlled the urge to get another cone and/or binge on chocolate at home. The Portland Marathon is calling me, and I suppose the lure of victory must be a smidge greater than the lure of chocolate, amazingly enough. At least this time.

No comments: