Thursday, July 02, 2009

What is an athlete?

This is spurred by Ollie's post on Facebook, in which he remarks that he considers himself a "faux" athlete. For those of you who do not know Ollie, he has done countless 5Ks & 10Ks, numerous marathons, and even several 24-hour (or more) walks. He trains hard with racewalking, running, swimming and yoga. He does care about his finishing times and has specific goals he sets for himself. However, because he is not fast enough to be winning or placing in his age group in running races, he doesn't consider himself an athlete.

Now, for some more background: I never considered myself an athlete until a couple years ago when my friend Sara from church remarked that I was an athlete. When she said that, at first I rejected the idea, but after thinking about it for a while, I decided she was right. I was training hard, wanted to compete, and was engaging in physical activity for more than just staying in shape.

Here's the definition from Merriam-Webster:
Main Entry:
ath·lete
Pronunciation:
\ˈath-ˌlēt, ÷ˈa-thə-ˌlēt\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
Middle English, from Latin athleta, from Greek athlētēs, from athlein to contend for a prize, from athlon prize, contest
Date:
15th century

: a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina

Notice that it says "trained OR skilled". You can be trained without being particularly skilled. I personally think that people who train to compete are athletes, regardless of skill.

What do you think? Comments please.

4 comments:

Steve said...

Well said Tammy! I don't know this individual personally, but Ive read about him.

Athlete or not, not many people can do 24 hour races.

Steve said...

Btw...the Seattle race sounds like it was quite an experience.

Pam Granada , the editor of Walkabout magazine, told me she had a blast.

Im thinkin of doing my first R&R race this October...the same day as the Portland Marathon :(

Tammy said...

So, you're doing RNR San Jose, huh? Sounds like fun! Closer to home than Portland at least. I think Lis Shepherd (Dave's clinic alumni) is doing that one.

Harriet said...

I'm going to answer this question via a blog post, but I like what a swim coach told me:

an athlete is someone who can tell what their body is doing at a given time; e. g., an athlete can tell when his or her knee is straight!

The non athletes (myself) really can't; we need constant feedback to associate a "picture" with what we are doing.