Thursday, July 02, 2009

Would you count it?

So, some of my racewalking/running friends and I were chatting about when you count a marathon. Some argued that 26.2 miles in itself is not a marathon; they said you can only count it if you raced it on an approved course. That excludes what I did in Seattle and in April in SLC, because 1) I did not RACE either one (I was coaching, which meant that speed was variable), and 2) I did not do the whole course. Both times I did 26.2 miles, though.

I feel like anytime you do that many miles it oughta count. But that's just my 2 cents.

Would you count it? Why or why not?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have to say I would not count it. I think pinning on the bib, crossing the start and finish lines and doing all the miles in between makes it an event that counts. I ran 31 miles at San Antonio Rock N Roll when I was coaching but I just consider that a long day of running. In my running log I have a category of "coaching" to distinguish these days. If I want to get a true idea of my pace I can restrict these out.

Hunca Munca said...

Well, I'm no judge but I think it should count if you are doing that many miles continuously...without stopping etc. But I like the idea of a separate "coaching" category so you can log time separately from official races. Either way, congratulations on being fit enough to do that many miles, officially or not!