Thursday, July 23, 2015

hiking; 10K

Yesterday: cross-training - hiked Garfield Peak at Crater Lake with Calvin. It was an amazingly beautiful hike; Crater Lake is the deepest lake in the U.S. and it's so vividly blue. It was formed over 7000 years ago when Mt. Mazama, then 12000ft tall, blew its top in an eruption 100 times greater than Mt. St. Helens in 1980. The mountain collapsed all around the caldera, and then the resultant hole filled up with water over the next few centuries. Now it's a beautiful lake, though still geologically active (there are hydrothermal vents on the lake floor). Someday it could become explosively active again, but in the meantime it's a great place to visit. The hike was 6km round-trip, with 412m elevation gain according to my Garmin. Calvin and I made it to the top in about 45 minutes, at a moderate hiking pace, and we thoroughly enjoyed each other's company. Garmin data here. 

Today: Jim wanted me to do 10k at about a 6:15/km pace. We are now camping in Mt. Shasta City, which is at about 3600-3800 feet of elevation (a bit lower than at home), but there is nary a flat spot in the city. I knew this one was going to be tough with the hills, but I figured it'd be good training for Portland-to-Coast next month. I set out thinking that if the hills were too tough I could just work hard and get my HR a bit higher than I usually would and that would be good. But guess what? I hammered those hills! I was able to do the 10K in 1:01:57, which is the fastest 10K I've done in a LONG time at 6:11/km. The total elevation gain was 108m over 3 large hills. I am proud of how well I did those hills, and my legs were even a bit sore (just normal DOMS) from yesterday's hike. YES!!!! My ave HR was 152 according to my Garmin; that seems lowish as it felt like it was in upper  150s most of the time, but I did stop a little here and there to consult my map so that might be it.

Nice weather; a bit warmish at the end but it was 17.2C (63F) to start and probably 68F when I finished.

Garmin data here. 

No comments: