Friday, July 10, 2015

elliptical; 3x878m

Yesterday: 45 min elliptical. Legs felt totally fine and well-recovered from Tuesday's 3K fartlek.

Today: 3x1km was the assigned workout; however, since I am doing most speed work on the indoor track it ended up being 3x878m. I felt good this morning and the warm-up was smooth, and probably the fastest warm-up I've had in a while. I did 9:12 for 5 laps for 6:17/km. The last lap was a nice fast 1:40, and that was alternating fast/medium efforts on the straights/curves.

I did some dynamic drills and then got going on the 3x878m. Everything felt smooth, and I tried really really hard to focus on my technique, particularly my posture. I know I need to be straighter so that my hips are free to move more readily. I concentrated hard on this throughout my workout.

Taking the first interval conservatively, I cranked out a 4:59.4 (1km equivalent = 5:41.1). Then I ratcheted it up a notch and had a nice 4:56.5 (1km equiv = 5:37.8), and finally still had enough for a 4:58.4 (1km = 5:39.9). I'm still not super speedy, but at least I'm not ridiculously slow. Maybe after some more training my leg speed will improve. I've been saying this for 2 years, so who knows if it will really happen, but I'm more hopeful now.

2 min recovery HR lows: 104, 108, 107. Super happy with this! Obviously I'm feeling better. I want to keep it that way.

***

I'm at a conference for work (Society for Developmental Biology), local, but still a conference. It's up at Snowbird ski resort, and it's very beautiful up here (see photo at left). The down side is that I'm really really busy with work stuff, balancing with family stuff, and still trying to work out. I'm trying to stay relaxed and calm though. Can't let stress get the upper hand. So far so good. I got our poster printed for the poster session tonight, which is very late at 9:30-11pm. Ughhhhh that will play havoc with my schedule for tomorrow since I plan to get up early for 12km. At least I might get a brief nap today :).

No comments: