Saturday, February 04, 2012

hilly & windy 12K

The weather was somewhat uncooperative today. It wasn't raining or snowing, but it was windy. VERY windy. And cold. It was 25F (-4C) when I woke up, and I decided that since my parents had the kids until noon that I'd walk later. So that's what I did. It was about 34F (1C) when I went later, and it was still chilly but it was better. I chose a hilly route, however, and that slowed me down, as did the wind. It wasn't too bad; I was at 6:20/km through 10K and then the last 2K the wind, the slight uphill, and my legs that were tired from weight training yesterday and spinning and 10K of racewalking had had enough. By the time I got home I was at 6:25/km! Still, it was a decent walk and I am sure I haven't lost too much fitness on my break. Even if I had, I have a few months until my next big race - the 15K in Riverside, CA on May 13th.

My splits were totally erratic and varied from 2:48-3:59/500m due to wind and hills. Here's my Garmin data.

***

After lunch we took the kids figure skating. I got some good practice in, but my Mohawks are still not good. They are better, though! My backward crossovers and backward gliding on each edge are much better. The only elements I'm not sure that will pass muster are the Mohawk and the spin. The spin makes me so dizzy! It's just a basic 2-foot spin, but I'm just not so sure that people over 40 can spin like that :). I'll keep trying.

No comments: