Monday, February 20, 2012

3x2K

Today's workout was 3x2K. I generally don't care for the 2km interval workouts, but since there were only 3 intervals I figured it wasn't too bad, and that I'd survive. I know I need to learn to pace myself better...more on that later.

The weather was not cooperative last night. It snowed a bunch on Sunday and then some more last night. I really wanted to do this on the track, and it was predicted to get up to 40 today, so I figured the snow would melt a little by midday. I got to work early so that I could work and then leave at lunchtime to do my workout. As I drove by the track on my way to work, I noticed that it was completely covered in snow. By noon, however, it was 35F (2C) and when I drove to the track, the snow had melted :)!

Here are a few pictures of the view today. It was really quite nice and clear; however, it was windy, and every time I came around the north and west sides of the track the headwind was pretty strong. I think it only affected my times a little, though.



I intended to start off with an 11:20. Pacing...yeah. I went faster, doing an 11:14. Hmmm, I have to work on this one a bit. Feeling good on the first one is a given. I need to slow it down. I wanted to stay consistent, and of course it was tough. I didn't do too badly, though - the second one was 11:17 and the third 11:19. I had to work really hard for the last one, too. Good thing Jim let me have 3 minutes rest between them today. That helped, especially since this is only my second speed workout since the 50K. I'm happy with today's workout - I feel it went pretty well. My heart rate got up there really high, but that seems expected given the layoff. Average heart rate on the last 500 was 170! Average HR for all the intervals was 161.5.

I enjoyed the company of 2 runners at the track, a man and a woman. I passed both of them :).

Side note: my 500m splits got a bit messed up on the first half of the third 2K - the first one is a few seconds too long, and the second a few seconds too short. Otherwise, they are all correct.

Garmin connect data here.

1 comment:

Nyle said...

Love the photos. The first one makes it look like a nice warm day....the last one reminds me that its not...all that snow on the ground..brrr!!

wow for your second speed workout you are doing awesome! you have to be super rapt with that.