Wednesday, February 22, 2012

10K w/2x5' @15K pace

I hung around in bed longer than I intended this morning...I was kind of dreading the workout after yesterday's slow and painful 15K. I should know from experience that today could be better, but I wasn't thinking clearly that early in the morning, I guess. It did go much better!

The weather was terrific! It was SO warm at 40F (4C) ahead of a storm that is coming in tonight. It got up to the upper 50s today - sooooo nice!

I was to do 10K with 2 five-minute bursts at 15K race pace. That went well. 15K race pace is about 2:53/500m, and my first 500 fast was a bit faster at 2:43. Oops! It was a slight downhill and I was fresh, so that was OK. I kept going until 5 min had passed and then slowed a bit. My next fast 500m was at 6.5 km, and I did spot-on 2:52 for that one for the first 500m, and then kept going hard for a couple more minutes. My legs were pretty tired by about 8km or so (in fact, my legs were still a bit stiff today starting out, so I was a little worried, but it turned out OK). I still managed to complete the walk in 1:02:26 for 6:14/km (10:03/mile) with a nice low ave HR of 144.

My right knee has been bothering me a bit, on the medial side. It's tender to the touch if you get it in just the right spot, and it's been a little sore since Saturday's 20K. I'm not sure quite what is going on, so I had Loren examine it. He says he is pretty sure it's at the attachment point for my hamstring. It was sore at work today for the first time, so now I'm a little concerned, especially since I have some speed work tomorrow. I'll plan on playing it by ear, and hopefully it will be OK.

Garmin connect data here.

No comments: