Sunday, July 03, 2011

Saturday workout; toe update

Saturday morning I hit the gym and did the elliptical for an hour. I pushed it a bit harder than usual, perhaps because I was a bit irritated about my toe, my adductor, and general lack of rest/sleep for the last month or so. I managed 8.33 miles in the 60 minutes I was on it, with ave HR 144. That's the best I've done on that thing in a while. I'll take it.

***

Toe update - I visited the podiatrist on Friday. He said I'd have to have a repeat surgery. Apparently this happens sometimes. I told him I had very important races the next few weeks and asked if there was a quick fix, since the surgery does put you out of commission for a couple days. He proceeded to very nicely trim back the toenail, and he said it would last about 4-6 wk. Cool! I made an appointment for after I return from WMA. The toe is feeling much, much better now.

***

Adductor update - it's better since just doing the elliptical on Saturday. Still hurts a bit when I stretch it. I have 15K this morning so hopefully it will be OK if I watch my technique. If not, I'll quit and give it some more rest.

***

Travel update - I traveled to Davis, CA, yesterday, where my brother lives. Loren is stuck home with the kids, but my parents are helping and I think he'll live! I took Southwest, which was cheap, but there are no direct flights, so I had to fly to L.A. first. Wheeeee! Fortunately, all the flights were on time or even a bit early, and when I arrived my bag came promptly on the carousel. I was able to catch the bus to Davis easily enough (it only comes once an hour, so I was concerned about timing) and only had to wait about 15 min for it. It did take an hour to get here, but I read a book and relaxed, and then it was a short 1 block walk to my brother's house once I arrived. I let myself in with the garage code. Whew. Everything seemed to be going well! Then I grocery shopped for a few necessities for myself, David, and Nyle, worked for a while (I also worked on data analysis on the airplane and in the airport), and hit the sack about 10:30pm. I was hoping for a good night's sleep, but I woke up at 4:30 am. I've been getting up at 5:30 am in Salt Lake, so that was the same time...sigh...maybe I can get a nap?

***

On the agenda for today: 15K, clean house a bit for my guests, attend church, do some more data analysis, get more food at Costco, and pick up David and Nyle at 1:30 pm. We'll have a wine and cheese snack and hopefully a nap before we prepare dinner. They'll be jet lagged and tired, so no big plans tonight.

No comments: