Saturday, February 05, 2011

6 years!

I apologize in advance if this seems weird to celebrate, but today, February 5th, is my 6th anniversary of joining Weight Watchers. My life has not been the same since joining, and it is so much better that I really can't help but celebrate. Thinking of all the cool racewalking things I've gotten to do, never mind the hiking and biking and so much more, makes me truly grateful and in a celebratory mood.
This photo is of me and Calvin at a Christmas party in December 2004, just 2 months before I joined Weight Watchers.


Me this summer at the start of our club 5K. Look how happy I am to be out there! The joy on my face is unmistakable. The joy that I feel from the confidence and strength my sport has given me is hard to describe. But this is why I can stay on the program and eat (more or less! lol!) the way that is healthy for me. Before I was miserable & didn't like the person I'd become. Now I revel in the strength racewalking gives me. Sure, right now I'm not as strong as I could be, due to illness and other factors. But that is unimportant. I'm out there, I'm healthy, and I'm content.

4 comments:

Harriet said...

Did you realize that you had an athlete under all of that? Well, you did; it is almost as if the weight loss was the process of chiseling away a sculpture from a larger mass.

Just think: you had it in you all along!

Back in my 300 pound days, I'd still hike but it took me a while (36 minutes to walk 2 miles on the roads)

Tammy said...

I had NO idea I was athletic at all. In high school (when I weighed about 165, only 15 lb more than I do now) I clearly remember struggling to run a mile with my mom (who ran 3x/wk for 3 miles - I thought she was SO impressive!). Of course I had no idea that you need to ramp up to that sort of thing...and actually if I remember right we did about a 10 min pace, which isn't bad for someone who was woefully out of shape. Anyway, I was always the last to get picked for the team in gym class, and really thought I had zero talent. In my 20s I envied my younger brother, who was running marathons while I was blimping out. Now I wish I would have known...oh well...

Rebecca said...

Happy Anniversary, Tammy! I know just how you feel ;)

Hunca Munca said...

Yeah! I knew you back then and have witnessed the transformation -you are inspiring. You probably don't even know how many people, including me, you have motivated with your perseverance and dedication. Keep up the good work! Rah rah!