Tuesday, February 08, 2011

10K indoors

It was 23F (-5C) and windy this morning, plus we had about 2 inches of new snow and the streets were icy. It wasn't hard to decide to walk inside.

47.4 times around the indoor track (211m) is 10K. Wheeeeeee...I was going to feel like a mouse on a wheel, but it beat the treadmill. 5 times around the track is 1055m, and so at a 6:30/km pace that is 6:51.45 per 5 laps (or 1:22 per lap). I was going to time each lap, but my watch laps were getting full, so I settled for every 5 laps (after the first few laps), with one mess-up. Still, I can add up the times more or less :).

I felt good to start, and my HR was nice and low, but as the workout went on I had to work harder to maintain pace. At the end, I was averaging HR of 158! However, overall my ave HR was only 148 for my 10K, and total time was a respectable 1:05:19 (considering I'm coming off illness and all).

My 5-lap times were (ave HR if I have it): 6:48 (130-something?), 6:49 (143), 6:52 (145), 6:55 (148), 6:55 (148), 6:56 (151), 6:59 (152), 6:53 (154), 6:48 (158), last 2.4 laps 3:17 (158). Got a bit sluggish in the middle there, but pulled it out with a harder effort at the end. I felt good when I finished, though I did have a fair amount of dry coughing.

Hopefully I will be able to walk outside tomorrow!

Garmin connect data here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you say "mouse on a wheel"?

Check this out (scroll down to number 7)

http://www.cornbelt.org/old/24hr04.htm

Yep, lane 5 of a 400 meter track. :-)

I got in 4 miles on a 200 meter track this morning, at a much slower pace than you.

Tammy said...

Ollie - didn't realize your ultra was on a TRACK. UGH!!! That is completely crazy!!!!! (As if doing 100 miles isn't crazy to start with...seriously, I have no idea how one does that, since I don't handle sleep deprivation well at all, never mind the blisters, stomach upset, etc.)

Nyle said...

Great to see you are getting back up there. :)

The funny part about all this is as you emerge from indoor training and come into your spring and summer I will be retreating indoors to our autumn and winter. But thank goodness it is now where near as cold as you have.

good work on your work out!!

I agree about the ultras on the track...all our 24 hour races are on the track .... it did me in just doing 20km let alone trying for 160km