Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Paradigm shift required

I need a reality check. I've been getting down about the fact that I am not as fast as I was last year, or the year before. I know, I'm coming back from injury and shouldn't expect too much, but it's hard not to.

This is my new reality: 1) I am healthy - my feet don't hurt and I can racewalk. 2) I'm in better shape than 99% of people my age. 3) I am going to be fit ad healthy as long as I can. 4) Though I still struggle with those last 5 lbs, I have lost 100 lbs and kept it off for almost 4 years now.

I am going to enjoy all of those things rather than focusing on the negative; at least I'm going to try to do that.

This morning I didn't want to go to the track. I was too worried about the verdict of the stopwatch. After my warm-up (10:19 for 1600, acceleration, plus dynamic flexibility drills), I decided that it the times didn't matter. Only the workout mattered. So I got to work.

I was to do 1x2.5k, 4 min rest, then 4x800/200 with 30s rest between them and 3 min rest before the next 800/200. I only managed the 2.5k in 14:49, so I knew it wasn't a fast day. But my heart rate was reasonably high (ave 160, max 168), so at least I figured I'd make it through the workout well. My legs felt pretty fresh, and though tired at the end of the workout, they don't feel excessively so. I focused on trying to use my glutes more and keeping my posture upright; I'm tired of sore hamstrings! I don't think I succeeded at that very well, but hopefully every little bit helps.

I knew that the pre-fatiguing of the 2.5k would make my 800/200s slower than last week, and they were. The 800s were from 4:36-4:39 and the 200s were 1:00-1:02. I didn't feel like I was dying on the last ones, either. I probably could have done a few more if I absolutely had to (but I was glad I didn't have to!).

Slow times, but new perspective. Stay healthy, enjoy racewalking, keep the weight off. Let the times do what they will. I'm trying very hard to make this my new paradigm.

Splits here, for the coach and other interested parties.

2 comments:

Malaika said...

Tammy, thanks for stopping by my blog and presenting me with the opportunity to track down yours! It's great to see what the swimmers are up to outside of the pool...I hope you continue to be pain- and injury-free with the race walking and that your times start to come down again. Consistency, consistency...

Anonymous said...

Ah, sometimes you and the coach will hit on the routine that is right for you; all bodies are different.

Let's see where you are in 6 weeks time. ;-)