Sunday, June 13, 2010

epic bonk

weather: 52F (11C) and windy, threatening rain (but dry the whole time).

of note: Liberty Park is closed because of an oil spill. Yes, you read that right. There was a pipeline leak into Red Butte Creek, spilling 50 gallons of crude/min. Thanks a lot, Chevron. I still walked around the north & west sides of the park (away from the spill and cleanup area), but if I'd been spotted I know the police would have asked me to leave.

I felt pretty tired when I woke up (sleepy; went to bed too late because of painting our kitchen) but my muscles felt good. I was excited to do 20K when I was relatively fresh. I ate a banana before I left, and filled my water bottles.

I felt great for the first 2K, so-so for the next 2K, and then it was all downhill from there. I did make it to 10K in just over 1:05 (which was a little over 6:30/k pace) but I knew I couldn't hold it. My lungs and HR were fine, but my legs were SO tired. By 13K I almost quit. Really - I was so close to bagging it, because I just hurt. But I decided to slow down and just finish. I'm not sure that was the right thing to do, but what the heck.

I cannot remember when I have felt so awful during a workout. It was worse than last week. A lot worse. Despite eating 1 pkg Sport Beans at 8km and 15km, I got no pick-me-up from them. I just felt worse and worse. My legs were so heavy, and every step was just painful. I'm trashed now. It seems like this was a giant carb crash, but I'm not sure why it happened. I ate enough while I was out.

I'm a little concerned. I just don't feel right at all somehow. My coach has made my schedule easier and I'm still not doing well. I think I'm going to call my doctor and just get in for an appointment to get checked over. I'm past due for a thorough physical anyway, so it's probably a good idea.

It's 9:15 am now but I am going back to bed. Seriously.

Total workout time: 2:15:41 for 6:47/km. The last km (admittedly, a good uphill) was a mind-numbingly slow 7:30. Yeah, that's how bad I felt.

Workout details here.

No comments: