Saturday, June 19, 2010

Fast 15K

Workout: easy 15K (yeah, I was supposed to take it easy)

Weather: Sunny, breezy, 61F (16.1C) to start and 71F (21.7C) at the end.

Where? Jordan River trail, one of my favorite places to go. I have to drive 15 min or so to get there, but it's worth it when I have the time to do it.

I did start off fairly easy, but then I was feeling really good, so I decided to aim for 6:30/k. Then I got on a roll, and was feeling nice & strong, so I just pushed a little. My heart rate was kind of high for most of the workout, but it didn't FEEL hard. It felt easy-moderate at the start, moderate in the middle, and from about 12K on it was moderately hard, but I felt great the whole time. My legs were not the slightest bit heavy, and I felt I was using my glutes more. It just felt great.

It was awesome to be outside this morning. SO many birds along the route; I even saw three white pelicans! I also saw lots of runners, as the SLC Fit people were out there for a 10-miler. I know this because I pilfered their water (thanks!) and chatted with a couple of them during the few times I stopped for a drink. One lady I talked to was 62 years old, started running @ age 55 and has done 4 marathons. She was really interesting! Too bad I didn't have longer to chat.

I was a bit tired from 12-15K but not heavy legs tired, just slightly tired from pushing a little :). It was a good kind of tired, and I finished strong.

Total time 1:35:55, 6:23/km. Ave HR 151.

No comments: