Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Short but intense track workout

This morning I did a short track workout. Short because I have the Seattle RNR Marathon to coach this Saturday and I want to be fresh. I figure I'll do at least 20 miles, and I want to be feeling good for it.

I warmed up with my usual 1600m acceleration. Today I was very fast - ave HR of 138, and a 10:04 for the 1600! Still, that was starting from rest, so the ave HR is a bit of a misleading statistic.

Then I stretched out with some dynamic flexibility drills and started my workout: 2x1600m with 2' rest. I did the first 1600 in 9:14 and the second in 9:13. Yeah, that was very fast - faster than last week, but I knew I was only doing 2, so figured I might as well fly. I was focusing a lot on my technique, and have been thinking about that more the past week, and I think that helped. My ave HR for the 1600s was 154 and 160 - compare that to last week when my first two 1600s were 9:29 and 9:26 with ave HR of 153 and 156; I was faster this week with similar HR. Maybe it's just random fluctuation due to who knows what, but I hope it's a trend toward speed. I'll keep working on it. I've been thinking a lot about my stride length since watching this video, and working on extending through the toe push as well as getting my elbows back.

I want to walk like Olga Kaniskina.

I finished my workout with a 1600m cool-down in about 12 min, a little regular walking, and a good stretching session. Interestingly, my piriformis was not bugging me at all today, despite the fact that it was quite sore Saturday. And thankfully, my IT band has been really great - let's hope this is a trend :).

4 comments:

Steve said...

I love that video. That women flies through the air!

Good stuff!

Lani said...

I've got a stupid question for you. How did you get the youtube window in your blog? I tried to do that but could only get a link, so I must be doing something wrong.

malvs2walk said...

Wow, I want to walk like Olga, too! That was amazing footage. The only comment I have is... do they look flatfooted on the heel strike to anyone else??? or, is it because they are moving so fast that they just appear flatfooted?

Tammy said...

I think they roll through their feet very quickly, but when their heel strikes their toes are pretty high. At least that's how it looks to me... but yes, the foot goes flat fairly fast, I think because they are moving so fast in general.